Tennis
This past summer, I wanted to steal some extra cardio time and venture away from the usually walking or jogging to nowhere, so I signed up for tennis lessons and I am loving it! Tennis would offer me a goal at the end of my cardio of having played a game instead of walking the neighborhood or treadmill which leads me to no real destination other than having said I've completed my cardio for the day. I had so much fun laughing at myself as I swung at a balls I totally missed or at the on ball I managed to send flying clear out of the tennis courts into a parked car through the open sun-roof.
The local college kids from Grand Blanc Parks and Rec were the instructors. They were patient with us old-timers and great to work with. One of the other students was also a college professor who had never played tennis.
As I reflect back on the endeavor, I think about the irony of being in the position of student and having teenagers as my teachers. It was a little embarrassing but at the same time, hilarious. The students explained and demonstrated how we must angle the racket, swing the racket, make sure it goes over our shoulders, the correct position of our feet , where we should hit the ball, and on and on. Somewhere in the middle of about the 6th directions, the other professor begged, “Can we please focus on one direction at time?" We’ve got too much going on and we can’t focus on learning just one thing.” I had to agree with her. It was a little overwhelming. In that moment I felt so out of place and incompetent. Its funny how we can be experts in one area and dumb-dumbs in another.
With tennis, you don’t realize how many rules and techniques this sport has until you try to learn and play it. There are different governing principles for when you have four players verses two, How you aim the ball when serving, when to use one hand or two.
And finally, another lesson I learned first-hand, is that tennis really, really works the muscles in the forearm. Ask me how I know.
Tennis is pretty hard for me to do. I think I am really terrible at it. Maybe its the fact that a ball is flying towards you and you have to hit it.
ReplyDeleteI recently met the love of my life. Technically we met a year and a half ago, but you know what they say "happy people are fat people". My boyfriend says "it's not a meal unless meat is involved". He also thinks butter is a key ingredient to every meal. He happens to be a wonderful chef and we eat at home more often than not. Needless to say, I have packed on the "happy pounds" rapidly through our new courtship. I am currently trying to work out in my spare time and have even teamed up with a coworker for a cash prize of the "biggest loser". After reading your post, I think tennis might be my competitive edge. It's so hard to workout if the routine is repetitive and boring. Good looking out teach! Fun + Cardio = rapid weightless!
ReplyDelete